Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Meet Albert





If you know my family, then you probably know ALBERT! If you havent met Albert then let me tell you a little bit about him! We first met Albert , maybe 12 years ago, he came to our house and wanted to do some yard work. My husband was always willing to give him some work, because he worked hard for the money he needed, well most of the time. His line he always uses is,"Got a couple of bucks?" As the years have gone by he has trimmed alot trees, bushes, and pretty much alot of things we have just not wanted to do. I have prayed for missionary experiences, and pretty much "Allby" as Lexi calls him, Is the only one that ever seems to enter into my life! He is homeless, an alcoholic, very few teeth, hard to understand what hes saying half the time, but for some reason is placed in our life! I have reflected alot about him lately, he is alone on this earth, he has no family and lives to survive each day. I have thought about the lessons he has taught me, and I have come to realize the importance he has been in my life and to my family. I could probably write a book, but here are a few choice examples of why he is apart of my family! One day he came to our house limping, he was in alot of pain, he said he had been hit by a car while riding his bike, now remember he is homeless, he is dirty, he is stinky! John thought he would put him up in a hotel for a few nights to get warm, it was a cold winter at the time, and maybe he could get off his feet for a few days because he rides his bike everywhere! John took him to a hotel , bathed him, yes John said the water was almost black, and helped him get into bed, this was a true act of service, it makes me cry to think of it. Albert came to John many times when he was sick, John gave him blessings. My son in law, Spencer also gave him blessings in spanish, he told Spencer he had alot of power, he could make alot of money with that power, that was another teaching time. Albert called John, brother. He calls me Momma! Oh yes, I took him to the dollar store one time, I told him I would do a little shopping while he did his, pretty soon I hear "Momma, Momma" hes looking for me and yelling for me in the store, I was a little emberassed, we are the same age, I wish I could be called sister or something! Our dog Dusty died, he had to be put down at the vet, this was Lexis beloved dog. We brought him home to bury him, on the way home I thought , oh I hope Alberts at our house, I dont want to bury him. Sure enough, theres Albert, he dug the hole right by Lexis bedroom window, a few days later, he put a saint, a statue over the grave, I guess we're Mormon Catholics! Just the other day, he came by the house to check in, he told me he had been really sick, someone called 911, he went to the hospital, the doctor told him he might have cancer. We talked awhile, I teased him a little, I told him if he dies, he needs to die close to my house, so I can bury him. With my granddaughter Avrey, in my arms I said ok Albert, lets talk about what your going to say to John when you get to the other side. Tell John from me, we need more help, send more angels to us. He said, you already have them, your holding one! My heart was was warm, I didnot expect him to say something so profound, My little Albert is my friend, I give him hugs, dirty and smelly, I know when he sees John, he will say, my brother! Until then, I know hes part of our family, I thank him for his life lessons!

16 comments:

Gail said...

You're so special girlfriend! No one but you could have the patience and love you have shown dear Albert. I just love you and all you do for everyone! Thanks for being so "deep" and sharing your heart. You're the best!

Barbie said...

I am crying right now as I read this. I haven't always been grateful for Albert in our lives, but Orson has continued what John started. Those two men are so Christlike. Thank you for this wonderful reminder of the importance of loving everyone. I love you sweet neighbor!

Lindsay Jones said...

I never realized that we love Albert, I just always looked at it as helping me out a little, but really you can't give service without loving those you are serving. Mom you are a true example! I love you infinity!

Krystal Arnett said...

Oh Lori, I love that post. It is such a great example of what our purpose on earth is. I also love the post about your hair in your wedding picture. My mom told me that back in the day, if you couldn't do your hair like that then you weren't cool. I guess you and my mom were cool...like KG Cool and LW Cool ;)

Hobbie said...

Lori, I'm always checking for a new post from you, you're posts always make me think and look a little deeper and decide i want to be better! (is that silly?, I'm sure thats not your goal....but thats what I come away feeling). Your stories make me think about John. He was such an amazing man, he made everyone feel loved. You and your girls are the same way, you make people feel loved and let them in to be part of your special family. For which, we are so lucky.:)
I love you, Lori.

Alexa Mae said...

this made me cry. i remember that man and what weird is that i was going to comment on nikis blog about him. i remember one time his was trimming a tree at your house on 2nd street and we were all playing around outside and i think little alli said to him, "How are you going to get down from there?"
and he said "Thats easy, I will SHUMP from the tree." (jump) and to this day i still say that from time to time and chellis wonders why on earth i am so quirky, but you had to be there.
this is exactly only one reason why you are such a great example. you are always serving people, no matter what they look like, how they dress, or what problems they may have...you turn no one away. your heart is so big and so full of love. i love you and i am so blessed that i have been able to have you in my life.

Brian and Brianna said...

AH Jump! I still remember him coming over to your old house and helping out he said something so funny and from then on me and Alli called him ah jump! He's lucky to be a part of your family you are so sweet!

Eliza said...

I remember meeting Albert once, I think he was sleeping in your shed and you were a little nervous about it, didn't he scare off some burglars once? Anyway, I was really touched reading this, how many people would have turned him away or looked down on him. You have set such a great example and are truly living the gospel. Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Love you so much, Lori! I'm so lucky you are my aunt!

mandi said...

my sweet daddy,I miss him.How selfless was he, what a jesture of pure love.Albert has always been around,and even though he has told me I look pregnant and I am NOT!!!I forgive him,just because he is him.Noone ever knew I had a brother.The day he dies will be sad,he is like a cat. He has nine lives

Michelle said...

When I read the title of this post I was like, "Man is Albert still coming around?". But then ofcourse I read on and I had no idea how much your family loved him and how special he was. It is truly a wonderful thing how your family has been blessed by serving him and how he has been blessed by you and your family and especially uncle John. Thanks for the post it was so special.

☂niki. said...

when i saw the title and pictures of this post i expected to be laughing by the end. instead i am crying. albert has really been a unique part of our lives. there are many funny stories to tell of him. (my favorite is the one alex just shared with us.) but not often do i think of him in this way. he really has been a blessing in disguise in all of our lives. you have such a kind heart mom. i have learned from the best!!! love you infinity!!!

Tara said...

Oh Albert!!! He is such a character. He's just one of the many reasons why I love your family. How many people would have taken him in like that? It makes me laugh, and want to cry for him all at the same time.

Kristy Treible said...

I remember him! He is still around?? That is so funny! What a great chrislike act your family has done.

Jen Harvey (Brenner) said...

Ok what a coincidence! I hadn't seen Albert AKA "Ahjump" for a year or two when just the other day i began to think about what has become of him. AS i continued down university i got my answer, it was him on his bike! As i passed by i rolled down my window and said "I LOVE YOU AHJUMP!" He of course waved back as his tooth glistened in the sunlight. I sure do miss seein him around! remember how he got the name ahjump? When he was trimming your trees in the back yard of your old house me and lex asked him how he was going to get down and he said "AHJUMP DOWN!" and there you go :) you guys have always been so good to him. I never knew that story about what John did for him, that is so sweet, although i'm not surprised. love you mama!

wendy said...

Lori, there is so much love between you and your girls. I have been reading there blogs and they are so dang sweet to eachother. You can tell its genuine and that you all have so much love to give! You are the sweetest! I love your stories, keep it up! Not to mention you all have such great style. That is something I was just not blessed with. You all have your house decorated so cute and do the coolest projects. Fun Fun!

Grannie Wright said...

Lori, I know this is after the fact. You have always amazed me. The way that you talk to people that are definitely out of our normal comfort zone. It is a blessing and talent that both you and John have. I know that we are all children of God, but this is not an easy thing for me to do. Thank you for being such a good example for me.